Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
A stew with tender, melt in your mouth pork cooked in Chinese spices; flavour soaked into every strand of the meat. GlutenFree|DairyFree|EggFree|NutFree|SeafoodFree
- 50g Ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalk Scallions, sliced into 2? lengths
- 4 pieces Star Anise
- 100ml Rice Wine
- 100ml Soy Sauce
- 50g Rock Sugar
- 1 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper, sliced
- 2 cups Water
- 600g Pork Belly, cubed
- In a claypot (or a regular pot), add ginger, scallions, star anise, wine, soy sauce, sugar, five spice powder, chili and water, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil and blanche pork belly briefly, about 23 minutes, drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add pork belly to claypot, bring to a boil again. Once it is boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and braise, covered, for 1.5 hours. Finally, remove cover, turn heat up to high and cook for 30 more minutes, until sauce has reduced by 90%.
- If you have time, skim off some of the fat floating on top while it’s simmering.
Note: This recipe is glutenfree if you use glutenfree soy sauce