Intense flavours in this dynamic sauce give new life to a simple bowl of steamed rice and vegetables. Toss with chilled noodles and crisp vegetables and you have an instant lunch, or use as a dipping sauce for salad rolls. Either way, use this sauce sparingly and feel free to tamper with the proportions in the recipe.
Yield: 3/4 cup (180 ml)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) smooth, natural peanut butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) honey
- 1/4 cup (60ml) minced cilantro leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (ground fresh chilli paste, like thai chilli)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add all of the ingredients from the garlic through to the sambal oilek. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, blend and season to taste.
- This sauce can also be made by hand, using a bowl and whisk or wooden spoon. Blending the peanut butter with the other ingredients may require some elbow grease. To help it along, try gently heating the peanut butter to make it a little bit runny and easier to stir.
Helpful hint: This sauce will stiffen up considerably in the fridge. Adjust the consistency by stirring in a little warm water, stock or coconut milk. Or heat the sauce gently on the stove (or in the microwave).