- 4 quinces
1. Wash the quinces and rub well to remove the downy fluff. Simmer the whole fruit in about 11/2 ups of water for 40-60 minutes or until tender. Lift out the quinces and cool. Once cold enough to handle, peel and core
2. Put the quinces in a food processor and process until smooth. Alternatively you can sieve or mouli
3. Measure pulp and and 1 cup of sugar to each cup of fruit. Place in a large saucepan. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the paste is very thick and leaves the sides of the pot. (be cautious when cooking as the mixture bubbles and spits. Wrap a cloth around your stirring hand to guard against burns).
4. Pour into a baking paperlined 22cm square tin and smooth out evenly. The paste should be about 1 cm thick
5. Leave covered to dry in a warm place for several days
6. Cut into squares or slices. Store wrapped in waxed or greased paper in airtight container.