- 4 cups water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon chips
- 1 star anise
- 1 whole nutmeg (about 2 teaspoons powdered)
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean, chopped fine (1 - 2 teaspoons vanilla extract/essence depending how much you like)
- 4 teaspoons black tea leaves, strong, robust tea works best
- 8 ounces grade “A” honey
Bring the water and milk to a boil in a saucepot. Add the remaining ingredients, except honey turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, and steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain*. Add honey and mix well. Store in refrigerator. Can be served hot or cold.
*Note if using a glass pitcher, make sure to thoroughly warm the pitcher before adding hot chai.