- 700gm white button or swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 500 gms kumara, peeled,
- 1cm diced 250gm bacon, finely chopped
- 250gm onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely diced
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Cooking oil and butter
- In a saucepan add diced kumara and cover with salted cold water and put over high heat.
- Bring to boil and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Drain and cool.
- Bring another saucepan to the heat, add a little cooking oil, when hot, add bacon, onion, garlic and thyme.
- Cook for 10 mins until the onion is soft before adding the mushrooms.
- Cook for 20 mins until cooking liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, cool, then place in a bowl with kumara
For the batter:
- Whisk the eggs and flour to a thick smooth consistency.
- Pour over mushroom and kumara mix, add chili sauce and season
- To cook, heat up the griddle top of your BBQ to medium heat.
- Add a little oil and butter then spoon out the fritters.
- Cook until golden one side and turn.
- Keep warm until all are cooked.
Serving suggestion: on their own with a small salad, with salsa, poached eggs and hollandaise. Omit bacon and add 250gm more mushroom for a vegetarian option.