Makes 12 servings
From the rebar cookbook – the best tortillas you will ever eat.
Ingredients for flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup hot water
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using the tips of your fingers add shortening by working it into the dry mix until little pea-sized balls form.
- Gradually add hot water while using your other hand to mix with a wooden spoon. When the dough is too stiff to mix with the spoon, reach in with your hands and gently kneed for 2 minutes. Shape into a ball, place in a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for at least 1 hour.
- Next, line the baking tray or dish with parchment paper, sprinkle with flour and set aside.
- Uncover the dough and pinch off golf ball sized pieces (1 1/2 oz – 45 g). Roll the dough in your palms to form smooth spheres. Dust lightly with flour, set on parchment paper and cover loosely with plastic. Repeat with remaining dough. Set the tray aside covered, to rest for another hour.
- When you are ready to roll and cook, lightly sprinkle flour on the counter and set a ball of dough in the center, pressing lightly to flatten. Roll the disk out with a floured rolling pin working from the center and rolling outward to the edges to for an 8″ round. Repeat with remaining dough and stack tortillas between sheets of wax or parchment paper.
- Heat a cast iron pan or non-stick skillet over medium-high head. Brush lightly with oil and cook tortilla on the first side until you see bubbles forming underneath. Flip over and cook until lightly golden.
- Wrap in foil and keep in a warm oven until all of the tortillas are cooked. Serve immediately.